Public inquiry into Nottingham attacks announced in Parliament

Public inquiry into Nottingham attacks announced in Parliament


Laura Hammond

BBC News, Nottingham

Supplied A composite image of Ian Coates, Barnaby Webber and Grace O'Malley-KumarSupplied

Ian Coates, Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar were stabbed to death on 13 June 2023

More details on the judge-led public inquiry into the Nottingham attacks – which saw three people stabbed to death – have been announced in Parliament.

Barnaby Webber, Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Ian Coates were killed by Valdo Calocane in the city on 13 June 2023.

The deaths have prompted widespread criticism from the victims’ families over how authorities handled the case.

On Tuesday, Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood said the inquiry would be chaired by Her Honour Deborah Taylor.

Ben Whitley/PA Wire The families of Barnaby Webber and Grace O'Malley-KumarBen Whitley/PA Wire

The families of Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar attended Parliament

She said the statutory inquiry “will have the power to compel witnesses” and “must be thorough in its assessment of the facts”.

She added the full terms of reference would be placed in the libraries of both Houses “at the earliest opportunity”.

University of Nottingham students Mr Webber and Ms O’Malley-Kumar were fatally stabbed in Ilkeston Road, while Mr Coates was found dead with knife injuries in Magdala Road.

Calocane then used Mr Coates’s van to drive into three pedestrians – Wayne Birkett, Marcin Gawronski and Sharon Miller – in the city centre.

Ben Whitley/PA Wire Wayne Birkett, in a grey jumper and black blazer, stands next to a woman with short blonde hair.Ben Whitley/PA Wire

Wayne Birkett (left) was one of three pedestrians hit by Calocane

Calocane, who had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia before the attacks, was sentenced to a hospital order in January 2024 after admitting three counts of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility and three counts of attempted murder.

At the time, Mr Webber’s mother Emma said “true justice has not been served”.

The case has prompted a number of reviews including a mental health homicide review, commissioned by NHS England.

A review into the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) found while prosecutors had been right to accept Calocane’s pleas of manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility, they could have handled the case better.

The families of Mr Webber, Miss O’Malley-Kumar and Mr Coates met with Prime Minister Keir Starmer to discuss plans for a judge-led public inquiry in February.

At the time, Sir Keir said it would “take place within weeks” and the families were told a “number of different agencies” would be scrutinised.



Source link

Posted in

Susan Darwin

I focus on highlighting the latest in news and politics. With a passion for bringing fresh perspectives to the forefront, I aim to share stories that inspire progress, critical thinking, and informed discussions on today's most pressing issues.

Leave a Comment